Five Reasons Why You May Receive a Serial Number Error During Activation
- Typos are made during activation
Take care entering these values as you register and activate your products, so that you don’t inadvertently transpose or skip numbers or letters.
- Serial Number
- Host Name (only valid for Network Licenses)
- MAC or Physical Address (only valid for Network Licenses)
- Host ID (only valid for Network Licenses)
- The serial number you are attempting to use does not match the product
There are several scenarios in which this mismatch can occur. Before registering and activating your license, please be sure the Serial Number you are using matches the product and release of the product and the type of license you have purchased.
- The serial number is valid, but is associated with a different product (e.g., AutoCAD LT 2010 versus AutoCAD)
- The serial number is valid, but is associated with a different version of AutoCAD (e.g., AutoCAD 2009 versus AutoCAD 2011)
- The serial number is valid for a network deployment, but you are trying to activate the product as a standalone license (and vice versa)
- The serial number you are attempting to use is truly not valid anymore
There are a couple of scenarios in which a serial number can be made obsolete. Before registering and activating your product, please be sure the Serial Number you are using matches the product and release of the product and the type of license you have purchased.
- The serial number is associated with a product or a release of a product that you are not licensed to use
- The serial number is obsolete and has been replaced with another serial number, in an effort to simplify a Subscription contract
- The contact information you are using does not match what is already associated with the Serial Number when the product was registered
This usually occurs when there is a change to your name, the name of your company, or your address after the product was registered. Be sure to keep your contact information up to date in Register Once. There, you can add an account with your current information, register products to that account, and delete your old accounts, or those with outdated information.
- You may have exceeded the activation limit on the license you are attempting to activate
Activation limits are set based on the type of license agreement you have with Autodesk. They are designed so that you can easily remain compliant with the license you purchased and so that you are protected from someone else using your license.
If you receive an error message about reaching your activation limit, you will need to request activation assistance directly from Autodesk. To do so, visit our License Registration and Activation Assistance page and select the Activation Assistance Form for the license you are trying to activate.